Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pattern 1 Continued


Thursday, January 8, 2015
Now that I have created my first simple pattern (it was simple to make, but it doesn't look simple), I would like to show you something you can do with it.  Remember my patterned bird and fish pieces?  (See my blog postings from November and December 2014.)  I started with black and white line drawings, and I used the paint bucket tool in Photoshop Elements to fill, or 'color', the spaces with patterns.  Since I am now creating my own patterns that I know will repeat seamlessly, I will be using them moving forward as I create new pieces.
The image below is just a simple swirl design that I got from a Dover book of ornaments.  This image is 6" on its smallest side.  Since my pattern is 2", I want to use an image that is large enough to show some repeats, but not so large that the pattern appears very tiny.   So once again, I used the paint bucket tool with the pattern box checked in the options bar, selected my new pattern, and filled in the spaces.  I like how this looks!
If I want to use this pattern in a piece where the green and blue don't go with my overall colorway, I can always change the colors to something that works.  For the next image, I simply adjusted the hues: Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Adjust Hue/Saturation.  I adjusted the slider bar to another color combination, and I think I like this one just as well!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment