Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Art Challenges


Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Starting off 2013 I wanted to continue doing some challenge pieces.  I also wanted to continue having a goal of making 50 pieces of art by the end of the year since I found the process to be so valuable in expanding my skills and creativity. 

My next challenge piece was for the Quilting Arts ‘Map it Out’ reader challenge.  I decided to create a piece that looks like a crazy quilt by starting with a picture of a map which I found on a piece of scrapbook paper.  I opened it in Photoshop Elements and using the paint bucket tool, I filled in the spaces between the roads with different patterns.  Once I completed my design, I saved it as a jpg file and uploaded it to Spoonflower , a website where you can order your own fabric designs.  It can take up to a couple of weeks to get custom fabric printed and shipped, so when using an online service for this purpose, you have to allow that time into your project.  Once I received the fabric, I stitched it to batting and added hand embroidery stitches and beads as is often done with crazy quilts.  I named my piece ‘Crazy Map’, and it appeared in the June/July issue of the magazine.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment