Monday, October 20, 2014

Art Challenges


Monday, October 20, 2014

Nearing the end of 2012, I decided to start entering some art challenges in the upcoming year.  The first one I entered was the ‘Coffee or Tea?” reader challenge for Quilting Arts.  It was announced in 2012 and would appear in the April/May issue of 2013.  I was very excited to have my piece selected to appear on the editor's page of that issue. 

I started my design by taking photos of the fabrics I wanted to use and opening them in Photoshop Elements.  I designed the layout on the computer and then recreated it with the fabrics I selected for the design.  After stitching out my design, I used paints to color in the steam from the coffee cups and darken the background to bring out the focal point.  This piece was later selected to appear on the cover of the March 2014 issue of American Quilter, and it also was juried into the Regional SAQA Small Vision, Big Voice 2014 exhibit that hung in the Tactile Arts Center in Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment