Monday, September 15, 2014

Starting Out

Monday, September 15, 2014

You may be asking, so what is it exactly that I do?  Or how is it that I came to do what I do? 

Over the years while still living my corporate life, I continued being creative.  I remember one of my high school teachers once explaining to us how she decoupaged her floor.  I also remember deciding then that I would be like her and make all my decorations and artwork for my own home some day.  As the years have gone by, I pretty much have.  I have painted watercolor pictures for my walls; made curtains, bedspreads, pillows; and even made all of my lampshades.

Knowing that I would someday retire from my day job, I had to determine what kind of an artist I wanted to be when I grew up.  Back in January of 2010, I signed up for a Fabric Embellishing class at a local quilt shop, The Great American Quilt Factory.  It was taught by Heather Thomas,  a wonderful and very knowledgeable teacher, from whom I have learned so much.  She opened my eyes to a whole new world of art making.  I knew then that I had found what I wanted to do.  I wanted to be a fabric artist.  Looking back, I realized that I was already doing fabric art in my home décor and lampshade making.  I just hadn't thought about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment