Sunday, September 28, 2014

Photo Luminosity

Sunday, September 28, 2014

About the same time that I was working on my luminosity piece for the color class, I started playing around with Photoshop Elements.  I had version 5 at the time, it came with my computer.  My daughter had taken a graphic arts class in high school and taught me a few things.  I thought I would take one of the photos I had of her and see what I could do with it.

I ended up making my very first Photoshop Elements (PSE) generated art quilt.  I added a filter, enhanced the colors, and using the clone stamp tool, I removed the lawn furniture and patio lights that were in the background.  I thought that this piece had developed its own sense luminosity through the color enhancements and the position of the sun when the photo was taken. 

Still being somewhat of a novice at printing to fabric, I decided to print this picture to a sheet of iron on transfer paper, the kind of transfer sheets we use to put images on T-shirts.  The printing went fine and the transfer of the image to fabric also went fine.  After free motion stitching the piece I thought I would press it.  Not a good idea!  I ended up pressing off most of the color on one of her legs plus some random specs throughout the picture.  Not being one to waste the work I had already done, I decided to get my paints out and rescue the piece by restoring the missing colors.  All in all, it turned out, and I still like the piece a lot, but I haven’t used any iron on transfer sheets in my art since!

No comments:

Post a Comment