Sunday, January 3, 2021

Introducing My Yearly Calendars

 

Sunday, January 3rd, 2021

I started out posting to this blog in January of last year and kept it up for awhile, but then the pandemic hit and life changed for everyone.  Suddenly this didn’t seem like an such important thing to do and I lost my motivation.  I somehow managed to keep myself busy all year and it actually flew by in spite of the fact that I hardly left my house. 

Our ‘stay at home’ time actually started when I was working on a large Art Nouveau piece that I had hoped to enter into the IQA quilt show in Long Beach in July.  In March and April I completely dedicated my life to that piece and finished it in time for the entry deadline.  Unfortunately the show was canceled so I am hoping to enter it in a future show.  After that I finished up some UFO’s and then did some home dec projects that had been on my ‘someday’ list.  I figured ‘someday’ had finally arrived.

Back in 2012 when I was still teaching myself Photoshop and other design programs on my computer, I decided to create a family calendar for 2013 using a series of kaleidoscopes I created with the Kaleidoscope Kreator program.  I did that for two years, and then decided I should start photographing my art pieces and using them on my calendars.  For my 2015 calendar I had enough pieces to put together a flowers and butterflies calendar.  The 2016 calendar was an assortment of bird pieces.  Starting in 2016 (for my 2017 calendar) I decided I should create a series of works specifically for the calendar.  For that first series I created twelve different birds.  From then on, I have been creating series of works specifically for my next year’s calendar.

Back to 2020, after finishing my UFO’s and a few home dec projects, I really had not done anything about my next calendar.  Suddenly it was August and I figured I better get busy if I was going to create a new series.  Luckily, I did manage to get another calendar series done in time to send out my year end gifts.  Now I have started designing my pieces for my 2022 calendar.

Starting this year, I will be focusing on my yearly calendars as the subject of this blog.  This will keep me posting weekly for the considerable near future.  Next week I will briefly discuss the topic of working in a series and following that I will begin sharing the works from each of my yearly calendars beginning with 2013.  So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment