Thursday, December 10, 2015

Dome of the Santa Maria del Fiore


Thursday, December 10, 2015
On my daughter's and my visit to Florence earlier this year, we had just started out on our walking tour.  As we walked down this narrow street of buildings, I remember looking ahead and noticing a building that I thought was very ornate and interesting looking.  As we got to the end of the street and walked out into the open square I couldn't believe my eyes.  I was looking at the most magnificent building I think I have ever seen.  The cathedral in Florence is just the most incredible structure, there really aren't words that do it justice.  It is so tremendous, it took over 140 years to build.  It was started in 1294 and not finished until 1436.  Imagine being the architect and not even being able to live long enough to see it to completion.
This next piece below, I did from a close up shot my daughter took of one of the smaller domes.  This is one of our favorite photos from our trip, and I felt I just had to print it to fabric and stitch it.  It is only 8 x 10, but  I like it so well I will probably do it again much larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment