Friday, July 17, 2015

Pattern 110


Friday, July 17, 2015
I have my instructions for how I am creating these 'watercolor' patterns on my blog post for Pattern 105 from Sunday, July 12th.  What I am finding with my simple method of blurring a photo, offsetting it with the Offset Filter, and then using the Smudge Tool to blur out the 'seam' lines, is that there is still a noticeable 'grid-like' appearance to the design.  There is nothing wrong with that, it is what it is, and I think these patterns are still pretty cool.  You can see that there is a definite repeat, but you just can't tell exactly where one square block of the pattern stops and the next one starts. 


I am interested in taking this 'watercolor' concept a step further and see if I can homogenize the colors more so the end pattern doesn't show that 'block' appearance so much.  Instead of starting with a flower photo for this one, I used one of my previous 'watercolor' patterns that was already blurred.  Here are the additional steps I took to create it.

Step 1 - Open one of your previous 'watercolor' pattern files.

Step 2 - Using the Smudge Tool, drag it back and forth completely across the pattern file to create a zig-zag effect.

Step 3 - Now the edges of the previous pattern have been altered and it will no longer tile seamlessly so this needs to be fixed.  Apply the Offset Filter again as you did in the original pattern.  Filter -> Other -> Offset.  Since this is still a 2 x 2 inch file at 300 ppi, keep the horizontal and vertical offsets set to 300.

Step 4 - Using the Smudge Tool again, drag across the image to remove the 'seam' lines.  Be careful not to affect the edges of the file.

Step 5 - Now you can save this as a new pattern and see how it repeats.



No comments:

Post a Comment