Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pattern 91


Wednesday, June 24, 2015
Now I want to switch gears and get back to exploring more pattern making.  For this next set of patterns, I will be playing around with creating some checks and plaids.  First, I want to do a simple check like one you may imagine covering your picnic table.  Here is how I created it (again, I am creating my patterns in Photoshop Elements):


Step 1 - Create a new two inch by two inch file.

Step 2 - Turn your grid on.  View -> Grid.  Set your grid options as follows:  Edit -> Preferences -> Guides & Grid, Gridline every 0.5 inch and Subdivisions 1. 

Step 3 - Using the Rectangular Marquee Tool, draw out two vertical rectangles the length of the square one half inch wide and one half inch between the two selected areas.  Using the Paint Bucket tool, fill these two selections with a color.  I chose to color them green.  See my first image below.

Step 4 - Next duplicate the layer and rotate the new layer 90 degrees right.  Layer -> Duplicate Layer.  Select the new layer and Image -> Rotate -> Layer 90 degrees Right.

Step 5 - Using the Opacity slider bar on the new layer, set the opacity to 50%, and there is your pattern.  Select-> All and Edit -> Define Pattern from Selection.  See my finished pattern, image two, below. 

Step 6 - My third image below shows my pattern filled into an eight inch square.




No comments:

Post a Comment