Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pattern 3


Sunday, January 11, 2015
My next design uses a circular kaleidoscope that I saved as a png file instead of a jpg file.  The reason I chose to save it as a png file is that this format supports transparent backgrounds.  If I had saved it as a jpg, it would appear with a white box around it.  The great thing I discovered about Photoshop Elements is that if you open a png file with a transparent background and define a pattern with it, then the pattern also has a transparent background.  So when you use that pattern to fill a space, whatever color is already in the space will show through and become the background color.  You will see what I mean when you look at the pictures below.
The first picture is of the kaleidoscope file.  I opened it, reduced its size to 1 inch, and saved it as a pattern.  The second picture started as a blue square.  I filled the square with the pattern, and you can see that the blue shows through as the background. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment