Friday, January 30, 2015

Pattern 22


Friday, January 30, 2015
My next dot pattern originated from my last one.  The difference with this one is that I added a second color so that the color changes go in diagonal rows.  To make this repeat, I had to add a second row and column to my original dot pattern.  This one takes four dots to repeat. 


The way I created this one was to first create a new file 2 inches by 2 inches.  I filled it with my original dot pattern (which has a one inch repeat) so that I had two rows of two dots.  With 'continuous' on, and 'pattern' off, I did a solid red color fill of the upper left and lower right dots.  I then did a solid yellow color fill of the upper right and lower left dots.  I then 'selected' the white background with the magic wand tool and deleted it so that I would have a transparent background.  I then selected 'all' and saved the pattern.  For the filled square below, I created a file 16 inches by 16 inches, filled it with a solid blue, and then filled it with my new 2 inch dot pattern. 

As a side note, I don't necessarily have to save my patterns with transparent backgrounds.  I could just as well save them with colored backgrounds.  The reason I like to have the transparent backgrounds is that I can apply the pattern over any color background I want thereby changing how the pattern appears.  I could also recolor the dots and make the whole pattern look different.


No comments:

Post a Comment