Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Art Quilt Challenge


Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The next piece I would like to show you is one I designed for a challenge.  The fabric to be used had various design elements which lent themselves well to the design I had in mind.  Always inspired by the works of Alphonse Mucha, I wanted to do another piece influenced by his style.  He often created images of girls with flowing hair and gowns surrounded by flowers and usually with a circular 'halo' behind them.

I took a photo of the challenge fabric so I could digitally 'cut out' the various elements I wanted to use in my composition.  After designing my layout in Photoshop Elements, I printed the necessary parts to fabric, that being the image of the girl and the large circle behind her.  I then composed the art piece one layer at a time using a background fabric, a layer of fused chiffon with the Art Nouveau design at the bottom stitched and painted, my printed images, and the design elements (this time physically cut out) from the challenge fabric.  Each part was free motion stitched before the next layer was applied.  The final layer was the flowers and the girl's arm.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment