Friday, November 7, 2014

GOFI Challenges


Friday, November 7, 2014

Straddling the years of 2013 and 2014, there was a group of textile artists that met monthly at the Golden Fiber Arts Studio in Golden, Colorado.  We called ourselves GOFI, from the first two letters in Golden and Fiber.  We decided to start doing some challenges which were initially based on photos selected by the group.  The first of these challenges was to create an art piece from a photo of the Denver skyline.  We could interpret the photo any way we wanted and using any techniques.  The only requirements were the size and orientation. 

Still wanting to improve my Photoshop skills, I chose to create a whole cloth piece that I had printed to fabric at Spoonflower.com.  I opened the photo and first applied some filters and color modifications.  I then used the rectangular marquee tool to select narrow stripped sections of the photo.  By selecting only parts of the photo, I could then apply additional color modifications to just those parts.  After printing it to fabric, I fused batting to the back and free motion stitched the entire piece.  The result of these photo alterations is seen in the finished piece below.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment