Monday, January 4, 2016

Beyond the Kaleidoscope


Monday, January 4, 2016
The start of another  year is upon us and it is time to once again set some new goals for the upcoming twelve months.  Back in 2012 I challenged myself to create 52 pieces of art, one a week for the entire year.  I completed that as have I created at least 50 pieces for the next three years.  In doing this, I have learned a lot and developed what I would call my 'style'.  I have discovered what I really like and want to do more of, and at the same time I made some things that I learned from but probably will not repeat.  For 2015 I not only made 50 pieces of art, but I also completed my goal of creating and posting 200 unique repeatable patterns that I can use in the creation of future art.
For 2016 I want to finish all of the pieces that I printed to fabric at Spoonflower but not yet stitched, and to also to work on creating much larger pieces in the styles and subjects that I love the most.  In the meantime, while I am working on those, I have a few more pieces from last year to show you.
This next piece was part of my Export group challenge that we created for our show at the Castlerock Library.  Each of us started with a 30 x 30 inch black canvas and in any style we chose, we made a circular 24 inch diameter piece to attach to the front.  It is amazing how diverse the pieces came out yet looked so good hanging together because of the same size and format.  For my piece, I designed a kaleidoscope and used one of my Greek key patterns to fill in the background.  I printed the piece to fabric, stitched, and finally painted the foreground design with gold paint.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment